2.11.2008

#3: BEFORE THERE WERE WEATHERMEN


(Lights up on a field. Early autumn, late afternoon. Unseasonably cold. An older and paler BETSY stands in the grass waiting for something. Her grandson WILLIAM - age 10 - comes running up the hill. She speaks to him.)

BETSY: I'm glad you got the message. Thanks for meeting me up here.
WILLIAM: Anytime grandma. Look at this toy I found!

(He shows it. She looks at it.)

BETSY: Look at that! Look at you. You're lucky.
WILLIAM: So are you grandma.

BETSY: Promise me something William.
WILLIAM: Anything grandma.
BETSY: Tell people that I did something.
WILLIAM: What people?
BETSY: Talk about me.
WILLIAM: What should I say?
BETSY: Surprise me.

WILLIAM: I'll talk about you grandma.

BETSY: Very good.
WILLIAM: Put on a sweater.
BETSY: I will William. I didn't realize how cold it was going to get today.
WILLIAM: Everyone said it was going to be warm. I had to run back home to get my sweater. I was almost late for school!
BETSY: Good thing you did that. Ran back home.
WILLIAM: Yeah, good thing. Great thing really.

WILLIAM: Grandma.
BETSY: Yes?
WILLIAM: What's this meeting about?
BETSY: Oh. That's it. It's over.
WILLIAM: Okay then. I'm gonna go home then.
BETSY: Run along. Stay warm.

(WILLIAM runs down the hill. BETSY waves good-bye and smiles.)

BETSY: I knew it.

(Pause.)

BETSY: He'll make of me a legend one day.

SLOW FADE TO BLACKOUT

No comments: