2.27.2008

#19: TWO BROKEN FUSES

(Lights up. 2008. A Manhattan office place. Cubicles, chairs, and people.)


CO-WORKER: I was playing Jeopardy before online with my mom at work - I mean she's at home, but I'm at work - obviously - so we're playing Jeopardy 'cos what else would I be doing here right, you know? Right?
PLAYWRIGHT: Right, I know...
CO-WORKER: And the question or - excuse me the "Answer" - was all about um, like on what day do Americans flock to Betsy Ross' house - and I was like OH MY GOD, I don't know! But I thought you would. I just thought it was weird after we were just like talking about your weird plays -
PLAYWRIGHT: Flag Day.
CO-WORKER: Oh My God! How did you know that?
PLAYWRIGHT: Lucky guess, I guess.

(The CO-WORKER begins her inept attempt to fix a paper jam at the printer.)

CO-WORKER: So, the play-a-day thing. She sewed the flag. We get it!
PLAYWRIGHT: Yeah, but we know nothing else about her.
CO-WORKER: Good, who cares. So what.
PLAYWRIGHT: So I can pretty much make her do anything.
CO-WORKER: You're officially weird. Isn't this every day thing going to get really old like really fast? Do it like once a month. Max.
PLAYWRIGHT: I can do it.

CO-WORKER: AH! This stupid printer always breaks! "Fuser Error"? What the F is the fuser?
PLAYWRIGHT: I'll Google it. (Pause.) Okay. Done. It's a "pair of heated rollers". In the printer.
CO-WORKER: Obviously. It's freakin'crazy we can't even get a printer that works here. It's embarrassing.

MYSTERIOUS VOICE: I'll fix it.
PLAYWRIGHT: (to the CO-WORKER) I didn't know you could fix a fuser.
CO-WORKER: Um, I didn't say I could smart ass. She did.

(The CO-WORKER points to where the MYSTERIOUS VOICE came from. There stands BETSY with a toolbelt. She pulls out a screwdriver. The PLAYWRIGHT is shell-shocked; the CO-WORKER views her to be nothing out of the ordinary.)

BETSY: (with unjustified ominous intent) That's right. I can fix any fuser.
PLAYWRIGHT: (secretly) This is against the rules. You can't just show up like this. We have an arrangement.

BETSY: Had my dear friend. Had.
CO-WORKER: OMG, you're the new tech girl right? When you're done here could you like pop by my desk. Whenever I run like lots of things, um, like Facebook and MySpace and then like open up a new tab on Firefox: it freezes.
BETSY: Surely. I'll be right there.. (searching for her name) Bla-Marrr-Nanc-Cath-Ju-Ja-Jah?
CO-WORKER: Jennifer... it's um, just Jennifer.
BETSY: Right. So it is. So it is. I'm just Betsy.
CO-WORKER: Just like his lame ass plays. Betsy. Tell her all about 'em Shakespeare.

(The CO-WORKER walks back to her desk. BETSY raises her screwdriver as if to attack. The PLAYWRIGHT disarms her.)

PLAYWRIGHT: I think it's best if you fix the fuser and leave.
BETSY: Lame ass plays, eh? That nine-to-fiver calling me lame. Is a lifetime of sewing lame, huh? Are these calloused hands that bled for our counry lame? Answer me that Jennifer!
PLAYWRIGHT: Breathe B, Breathe.
BETSY: Write me unlame words. Prove her wrong.
PLAYWRIGHT: The fuser B, the fuser.
BETSY: Prove me right.
PLAYWRIGHT: The printer, the fuser...

(BETSY lowers her safety goggles. She removes a bigger screwdriver and a mini-handsaw from her toolbelt. She - a product of the 18th century - examines the printer - a product of the 21st century. She feigns expertise and begins to "fix" the fuser with her tools. The PLAYWRIGHT can't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation.)

BLACKOUT

No comments: