3.06.2008

#27: A CONVERSATION WITH PAUL BUNYAN

(The upper branches of the tallest tree. The fingers of the giant right hand of PAUL BUNYAN are firmly wrapped around BETSY. PAUL places her onto a sturdy tree limb. A flock of birds flees the tree; this startles BETSY. PAUL BUNYAN squats and his giant face stares face-to-face with BETSY's. He speaks with a low, deflated voice.)
BETSY: Sorry about that. Where were we?
PAUL B: You were saying that you thought I was unqualified.
BETSY: Right.
PAUL B: Unsuited for this job.
BETSY: Yes, about that. We're looking for someone whose heart lies in the details of the craft. You're just so, well, forgive me: large.
PAUL B: You invited me here to have a conversation. I didn't think it was going to be an actual interview. I would have prepared!
BETSY: Forsight is the keystone of upholstery.
PAUL B: I threw together a resume while you were on the ground.
BETSY: I'll give it a look-see. Since you did make such a long trip down here. I suppose it won't hurt me.
PAUL B: Thank you.
(PAUL hands BETSY a huge piece of paper with ease. She struggles to hold it. Its weight and size overpower her and she topples down to a lower branch.)
BETSY: Ow!
PAUL B: Oopsies.
BETSY: No worries. It happens to everyone...
(BETSY stands up and examines the resume.)
BETSY: So Paul, care to explain to me how any of these "accomplishments" make you in any way qualified for this line of work?
PAUL B: Well, um. Inadvertently making ten thousand lakes was kinda cool. It taught me about nature I guess. And being a good team player and goal-setting. And recessing -
BETSY: Surpassing.
PAUL B: - those goals. Whatever.
BETSY: I think this about concludes our conversation.
PAUL B: Interview, just admit it!
BETSY: We come from different worlds.
PAUL B: I like plaid. That's upholstery right?
BETSY: Right... well, I don't wish to keep you from your buffalo.
PAUL B: Ox.
BETSY: Whatever.
PAUL B: I could be a huge asset to your business. A HUGE asset.
BETSY: This I know. You'll have to excuse me. I have another appointment.
PAUL B: I'm sure that regular-sized non-freak will be perfect for the job.
BETSY: Now, Paul -
PAUL B: Thanks for nothing!
(PAUL angrily walks the walk of a giant. He is gone. BETSY assesses her situation and begins to cautiously climb down the tree. A squirrel throws an acorn at her.)
BLACKOUT

No comments: