2.18.2008

#10: HURRICANE BETSY

(September 1965. Grand Isle, Louisiana. SAM DELERAY, 40, and his son ALEX, 11, stare out at the Gulf. Hurricane Betsy is regaining strength off the coast and approaching.)

ALEX: Those waves are too big Dad.
SAM: We'll be okay. Waves ain't guns.

ALEX: Listen to 'em.
SAM: (impressed) Once in a lifetime. Look at that...
ALEX: We need to go.
SAM: We'll be okay. No storm is movin' us.
ALEX: ...
SAM: Alex, you hear me? No storm is movin' us.
ALEX: This one's different.
SAM: My parents didn't take me runnin' at ev'ry drop of rain, Al. And I turned out alright, didn't I?
ALEX: This one's different. Can't you tell?

(BETSY appears suddenly and without effort, as if... from nowhere.)

BETSY: (over the wind) The Beach is closed gentlemen!
ALEX: See dad. see! Sorry, we were just leavin'.
SAM: Now everyone calm down, hold yer horses. I'm showin' my boy this. You mind your bee's wax, we'll mind ours.
BETSY: The beach is closed. It's my duty to tell you this.
SAM: It's my duty to say we'll leave when we want to leave.
BETSY: I'm just the messenger.
SAM: Didn't your shift end or somethin'? We don't need the Beach Patrol dictatin' our ev're move. You ruinin' this here.
ALEX: Dad, she seems serious.
BETSY: Move inland. Hesitate no more.

SAM: Man! Look at those waves, Al.
ALEX: (with urgency) Dad, we need to go.
SAM: Once in a lifetime!
ALEX: Dad, this isn't normal. We should pack then drive.
SAM: No horizon. Feel the air. This'll be a recordbreaker!

ALEX: (frustrated) Do something!
BETSY: Me? I tried.
ALEX: Try again.
BETSY: I'm just the messenger.
AELX: It's your job!

(BETSY nods. She approaches SAM, leans in and whispers. The winds slow while she speaks.)

BETSY: You will leave this beach. This storm will be worse than you think. You will save your son and yourself. He will be grateful. You will want to thank me. You will never see me again.
SAM: (Speechless) I -
BETSY: Twice in a lifetime for you. Twice in a lifetime for him. Leave now Sam.
SAM: Who are you?

(No response. The winds return.)

SAM: Alex, stop playin' around. We gotta pack some things before the roads go out.
ALEX: Let's go. Thanks, whatever you said must have - (He stops dead in his tracks.) She's gone! That lady's gone.
SAM: Yeah, so she is. So she is. We should go.

(They turn to leave and the flashlight of the BEACH PATROL, a female officer, catches their eyes.)

BEACH PATROL: The Beach is closed gentleman. Storm's gonna be huge. Gotta leave.
ALEX: We know. She was just here.
BEACH PATROL: Who was what now?
ALEX: She didn't have a uniform like you, but the lady told us.
BEACH PATROL: Lady! You seein' ghosts? I'm the only one stupid enough to be searchin' this beach. Now lets move it!
ALEX: Sorry. Ready dad?
SAM: ... ready ...
BEACH PATROL: Once in a century they say. Once in a lifetime.

(The BEACH PATROL extends her hand and exits with SAM. ALEX stares at the horizon. He turns his head quickly over his shoulder. He hears something, but it's just the wind.)

SAM: Bring it on Betsy. You're not takin' us today.

(SAM runs off to catch up with ALEX. The winds pick up.)

BLACKOUT

1 comment:

marina said...

hahahaha. well done.